Description: Kicking up into a handstand.
Goal: Muscle memory of correct handstand form
Objective: Repetition of proper handstand form & holding skill.
Equipment: Wall & Wedge
Time: 10 -15 min
- Start in a lunge position a step away from wall or wedge.
- Kick up into handstand, passing through T-Lever in the middle. Use a wall or wedge against a wall for help with balance.
- Keep arms straight, head in neutral, back rounded, stomach pulled in (core tight), legs straight with toes pointed.
- The lower back should be touching the wall/mat.
- Extend shoulders while pushing the entire body up.
- Step down and finish back in lunge position.
- Back should be rounded and not arched in the lower back, keep head in neutral and core tight will keep correct shape.
- Stepping out of the handstand and finish back in lunge, don’t allow the athlete to “crumble” to the ground.
Things To Watch For:
- Head Placement – maintain a neutral head position, ears between arms.
- Arched Back – keep core tight and engaged
- Finish in lunge, this helps with shoulder strength.
Skills This Helps:
- EVERYTHING… Handstands, Cartwheels, Roundoffs, Back Walkovers, Front Walkovers, Back Handsprings…