Description: Various poses to help develop strength and flexibility
Goal: Shoulder and core flexibility and strength for walkovers.
Objective: Develop body control and increase flexibility and strength.
- Do not use head to get into or out of bridge.
- After drill, be sure to tuck into a ball and roll back and forth, this will put the spine back into proper alignment.
Things To Watch For:
- Head Placement – maintain a neutral head position, ears between arms.
- Arms far apart, they should be close to ears.
- Coming down from the bridge should be controlled.
- Wrists should be under shoulders and not in front of their face.
Skills This Helps:
- Bridge Kickover, Back Walkover, Front Walkover, Back Handspring
Equipment: Soft surface (mat or thick yoga mat)
Time: 5 -15 min
Start in a Bridge for every drill:
- Lay down on back with legs bent.
- Place hands next to ears, fingers pointing towards toes.
- Push up into a bridge, keeping hands and feet flat on the ground.
- From a bridge position, rock forward, pushing shoulders forward, while keeping feet flat on the ground.
- Rock backwards, pushing knees in line with toes while keeping feet and hands flat on the ground.
- From bridge position, lift one foot off the ground, keeping the leg straight & toe pointed. Keep other foot flat on the ground.
- Switch legs.
- When steady rock back and forth with one leg up in the air.
1-Leg 1-Arm Bridge:
- While in 1- leg bridge lift the opposite arm off the ground.
- Example: Lift left leg up and then lift right leg up. Steady on one leg before lifting arm off ground.