Description: With legs elevated and knees bent, press hips up while squeezing legs and butt.
Goal: Hip alignment for handsprings
Objective: Develop hip flexor and glute muscles to keep butt pulled under
Equipment: Mat & Sturdy Elevated Surface (Folded Panel Mat, Wedge, Couch)
Reps: 5 sets of 5
Time: 10 – 15 min
- Lay on back with knees bent, feet flat on the ground or sturdy elevated surface (folded panel mat, couch).
- Arms over head by ears on ground.
- Squeeze butt and lift hips to ceiling, the body should be a straight line from shoulders to knees. Hold for 10 seconds.
- Lift and straighten one leg, keeping hips pressed to the ceiling, alternate legs.
- With an elevated surface you can place ankles on the edge keeping legs straight and lifting through hips as well.
- Arching in lower back and not squeezing the butt and lifting hips can cause lower back pain
Things To Watch For:
- Hips sagging, not lifting high enough to form a straight line with body.
Skills This Helps:
- Back Handspring